Brian Robinson Photo Gallery
Brian Robinson (born November 3, 1930, retired 1963) was a remarkable, talented cycling pioneer. He was the first British rider to finish the Tour de France (1955) as well as the first of his countrymen to win a Tour stage (1958, stage 7).
Robinson was more than just a pioneer, he was a complete rider. He was able to climb with the greats of the 1950s, yet had the sheer horsepower to to contest Milano-San Remo. He was third in the 1957 edition of the classic Italian race.
Late in his career he won the 1961 Critérium du Dauphiné, winning two stages along the way. An impressive win in an important race. Robinson was good. Damn good.
I had the good fortune to have a long talk with Robinson in 2007 and have transcribed and posted the extensive interview here. I know you'll find him a genial, wonderful guide to what I believe is cycling's most glamorous era.
Major victories and high placings:
- 1951: GC Dublin-Galway-Dublin, winning the first stage along the way
- 1952: National hill-climb champion
- 1952: 4th Tour of Britain, 5th Tour of Ireland
- 1954: Stage 6 Tour d'Europe, 2nd Tour of Britain
- 1955: Tour of Pennines, 4th Flèche Wallone, 8th Paris-Nice
- 1956: 8th Vuelta a España
- 1957: 3rd Milano-San Remo
- 1958: Stage 7 Tour de France, stage 5 Tour du Sud-Est, Paris-Nice mountains classification
- 1959 Stage 20 Tour de France
- 1960 Stage 3 Midi Libre, Stage 2 Tour de l'Aude
- 1961: Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré winning two stages along the way, 2nd Circuit d'Auvergne winning stage 2, Stage 8 Midi Libre
- 1952: BSA Cycles
- 1953: Unknown
- 1954-1955: Ellis Briggs Cycles, Hercules Cycles
- 1956: St. Raphael-Geminiani, Cilo-St. Raphael, La Perle-Coupry
- 1957-1959: St. Raphael-Gitane
- 1960-1961: Rapha-Gitane
- 1962: St. Raphael-Helyett
- 1963: Peugeot-BP
A handsome Brian Robinson in one of the collared jerseys of the 1950s
Robinson riding a bike of the era. Note the pushrod front derailleur. Those may be cottered steel cranks
Robinson in an undated photo
Brian Robinson trading card
Brian Robinson at the 1960 Tour de France
Brrian Robinson climbing in the Tour de France, maybe 1960
Robinson on magazine cover. Piet Kessels photo
Robinson in 2014